Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

Thursday, June 25, 2009 1 comments
I found this passage in Every Woman's Marriage: Igniting the Joy and Passion You Both Desire by Shannon and Greg Ethridge and I really liked it. So, of course, I thought I would share:

We must not enter marriage predominantly to be fulfilled, emotionally satisfied, or romantically charged, but rather to become more like Jesus Christ. We must embrace the reality of having our flaws exposed to our partner, and thereby having them exposed to us as well. Sin never seems quite as shocking when it is known only to us; when we see how it looks or sounds to another, it is magnified ten times over. The celibate can "hide" frustration by removing herself from the situation, but the married man or woman has no true refuge. It is hard to hide when you share the same bed...
In my conversations with women who are already married - something to this effect has almost always come up in the conversation. It's hard for me to think that Shawn will know all of me once we are married. He's going to see all my good and my bad days, all my pretty and not so pretty qualities and quirks, and my thoughts, hopes, and dreams. It's a little disconcerting, but I know that it will be good and that we will both grow. It is my hope that we will both encourage each other to become more like Christ.

1 comments:

Post a Comment