Monday's Dinner: Lemon-Basil Chicken, Noodles, & Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3 comments
This week's dinner was great! It did, however, take a lot more time than I estimated (as usual) and I didn't really get to enjoy it. Oh well - we're having the leftovers tonight.

I scour sites like Cooking Light every week looking for new recipes and that's where I found the recipe for Lemon-Basil Chicken with Basil Aioli. It's something I really enjoy doing. Is it weird that I also love it when I think of ways to make the recipes even a little bit healthier than what they say?


Lemon-Basil Chicken with Basil Aioli


Chicken:
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Cooking spray
Basil Aioli:
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon olive oil


Preparation
1) To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to basil mixture, turning to coat.
2) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 8 minutes on each side or until done.


3) While chicken cooks, prepare aioli. Combine 1/4 cup basil and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve with chicken.



While the chicken was cooking, I made Fettuccini Noodles to serve with the chicken. Once those were finished, I melted butter over them with garlic and Parmesan cheese. I thought that would give them a little more flavor. Also, I doubled the recipe for the Basil Aioli so that it would make more of a sauce to cover both the noodles and the chicken. Though, of course, you don't have to do that - it definitely doesn't make it any better for you. I was just worried about it being too dry.



Mel made Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots for Family Small Groups one Sunday and I loved them. They're super-easy - I didn't really even need a recipe, but here's the one I (sort of) used.


Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots


Ingredients
1 pound peeled baby carrots or medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Dash salt
Black pepper


Directions
1. In a medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until
crisp-tender. Drain; remove carrots from pan.

2. In the same saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until combined. Add carrots. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until glazed. Season to taste with pepper.
3. Makes 4 servings

All in all, it was a great meal. My family liked it, and it was relatively easy - even if it did take longer than I expected.


For my lunches this week, I made this recipe for Macaroni & Cheese from Self.com (introduced to me by my cousin). It was very good - almost everything you'd want in a macaroni & cheese that isn't too terribly bad for you. But, next time, I'd add a little more Velveeta - it was a little drier than I like my mac & cheese. That could just be a personal preference, though. Also, don't be retarded like me and put the broiler on to "make the breadcrumbs a little more crispy." I forgot about it for a few minutes. It was still good, though - the top didn't get burnt too much.


I love finding light recipes. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to go overboard and make "weird" food. But, I am going to make things I love healthier. There's no point in putting all that "bad stuff" into my body if I can make it taste the same (or better) as the original recipe. Get what I'm saying?

3 comments:

  • Amanda Cansave! said...

    Ok... I think I need lessons from you on how to add more to my blog. lol How is your site and everyone else's so pretty and mine is kinda lame. Guess you have more time than me though. O and those carrots look yummy too!

  • Short Stop said...

    Andi,

    All of these look great! I bet your family is loving having you "experiment" on them!

    The lemon-basil chicken looks particuarly fab. Would have loved to have been at your house that night!

  • Davesgirl said...

    That looks so yummy! MMMMMmmmmm... I want some carrots now :)

    Great job learning all this BEFORE you get married!! Has Shawn gotten to enjoy any of these meals yet?? :) I'm sure your mom loves the help of not having to cook every night...

Post a Comment