The First 90 Days of Marriage. So, I'm a little late...

Friday, March 19, 2010 2 comments
No, this isn't a post detailing out first 90 days of marriage (which was 3 months ago, woo hoo). I'm reading a book by that title and it's by Eric & Leslie Ludy. Yes, I know I'm reading this book past the time when I "should" be, but I dug it out of the pile in the basement (ask Hannah, she's seen it). It's never too late, right?

Here are my thoughts from the first chapter, so far...

"[Marriage] means giving up your own rights each moment of the day. It means not allowing Satan to creep in and undermine the superheroic power of Christ within by convincing you to cling to your own selfish agenda. It's important to have a clear vision of what you are fighting for so you don't ever become apathetic in your quest for a Christ-centered marriage that stands the test of time."

I just thought this was extremely beautiful and a good reminder. The following statement may come as a shock to you - but I am a very selfish person. *Gasp* I want my own way and it's often hard for me to give up, be it something big or something small. I am struggling with it, but I am trying.

It's a very easy thing to do with Shawn being so easygoing and flexible - neither of which describe me. (I guess this makes us a good fit?) I can be that way, but if he's willing to do what I want - well, who am I to stop him? NOT the right attitude!!!

That's not what marriage is about, I know that. I've always known that. I would assume everyone knows that. Therefore, I'm glad I read this because lately I've been needing this gentle reminder.

In marriage counseling, Pastor Dave had us each write our commitments to each other. Both of us wanted to put our marriage first. I think we've been doing a pretty good job, but it's kind of hard to tell with only 6 months under our belts. Ha! This motivates me to watch and think about what I am doing and what I may be "forcing" Shawn to do. I need to want what he wants.

Yet another thing to work on, but I love it!

2 comments:

  • Lovenotes by Lynette said...

    Good for you Andi! You are on the right track. It is a life long battle darlin'. Those of us honest enough to admit it 'we ALL' are selfish. It is only by Christ's enabling power that we can even die to self. I struggle with it too and so does every godly wife. I have found if I pray and ask God to make me want what my hubby wants, God answers that prayer! Love you, thanks for being honest ~ love your blog!

Post a Comment